We’re supposed to get 2 inches today. Of rain, that is. Maybe I can get 2 inches of knitting to go with it? Let’s see!
I intend for this to be a little bit loose so I can wear it over a tank or tee. This is just after joining the second ball of yarn (about 4.5 inches). Do the eyelets look like butterflies? OK, it takes some imagination!
Finished at last! This will look nice under a jacket (air conditioning, you know). I’m pleased with the fit, since I reduced it a LOT from the pattern (believed my own gauge and glad I did!).
Here’s the summary:
Yarn: Knit Picks Simply Cotton (organic worsted weight) in the Haze Heather colorway.
Needles: US #6
Pattern: Summer Tee Top by Claudia Olson (you’ll need a Ravelry login for the link).
I deviated from the pattern in the following ways:
– I reduced the cast-on by 28 stitches in order to get 36″ using my gauge. Others on Ravelry noted that their tops came out on the large side which gave me the confidence to go with such a big modification!
– When it came time to bind off for the arms, I shifted the bound-off stitches to the center of the underarm (3 on either side of the marker).
– I struggled a little with following the directions for shaping AND keeping in pattern. I ended up following them in spirit and doing what I thought was sensible to keep the stitch pattern tidy.
– The directions didn’t spell it out, but when the sleeves get to their final width of 16 stitches, there will only be half of the stitch pattern left (for me, it was the YO K1 YO part). I added a K1 SSK at the beginning and a K2TOG K1 at the end of the pattern row (makes up for the lost double-decrease and keeps the fabric straight).
This was the first time I had occasion to try a 3-needle bind-off. What a nice tidy way to finish! Much better than sewing a seam. Indeed, it allows me to say that this top is totally seamless.
I’m already scheming out the next one, stay tuned.