Time for the Fun Part!
I just tried all three pieces on (ok, well, it was kinda awkward since they’re not attached yet) and have concluded that it’s time to pull this act together.
The sleeves could be an inch too long, but the cute garter stitch cuff folds back and still looks great. So there’s some leeway there! The original pattern called for CO 4o for the sleeves and I thought they were too wide. I backed off to CO 32. This called for extra increasing to get to the final stitch count (to make the yoke work). I should have increased every 6 rows instead of every 8. That’s why the sleeves are long! If I like this sweater as much as I think I will, I may use this template again. Next time, the CO for the cuffs will be 36.
I love the weight of this yarn. It’s City Tweed HW from Knit Picks in the Jacquard colorway. I can tell that the sweater will feel substantial. I bought 7 balls but it’s looking like I will use less than 6.
OK, off to make the Big Join and get started on the cable yoke!
Edit: this is from a pattern by Ann Budd. See previous post.
Whew, change your career and your blog kinda goes out the window!
I’m loving my new focus on teaching English as a Second Language, but it most definitely has taken away from my knitting time … especially the time I used to take to report on my knitting activity here!
In June, I started a cotton sweater (CECE) and I’m looking forward to finishing it soon. I don’t have a lot of pictures, but I’ve done the body and both sleeves and I’ve connected them together. A bit of raglan reduction and some finishing and we’re done! I look forward to having this sweater to fend off the over-air-conditioned breezes of indoors in summer!
I promise to post some pictures as soon as I have time …
I was starting to worry about the size of this sweater: will it be big enough to suit hubby? He likes ’em baggy. It’s hard to say because there are no shoulders for the sweater to hang from yet. The sleeves and shoulders are kinda being developed at the same time. At this stage, though, it looks promising! BTW, I think he assumes the sweater is for me. He hasn’t inquired about it or commented on it at all. Ah well, if it’s too small, it will surely fit someone else in the family and friend sphere!
At last, both sleeves are attached to the body and it’s time for the decreases that will create the raglan “seams” on each side of each shoulder. Since there will be a V-neck, I’ll be stopping the circular knitting in another inch or so and going back and forth to finish the sweater. There are currently almost 50% more stitches per round than there were for the body … so each round is slow going. The good news is: each round will decrease (on average) by 4 stitches so things will seem to speed up as the project nears completion!
It’s been a busy couple of weeks at our house. We painted (are still painting) the kitchen and my teaching and tutoring work has multiplied. These are all good things, but they do cut in on the knitting time!
I’ve finished the body of the Norblu Sweater … its size prevented me from carrying it around and that was another damper on progress. But here it is at last! See the wrinkly yarn extending out of the picture? I’m knitting directly from the abandoned swatch sleeve now. See the gray yarn near the needles? That’s marking Armpit Number One. It and Armpit Number Two will be the very last steps in making the sweater. They will be closed with kitchener stitching and will disappear seamlessly. But first, Sleeve Number Two must be knitted and then both sleeves must be attached to the body. I’ll continue upward from there to the shoulders and finish the collar and then … I hope this will all be finished before Christmas!
Published October 11, 2009
Work in Progress
Tags: knitting, raglan, sweater, WIP
A 90 minute ride from New York to Philly on Amtrak was more than doubled when we lost electrical power last night. I wonder if the problem was due to what SEPTA calls “Slippery Leaf Season”. It was a blustery day yesterday … could fallen leaves have contributed to the train’s difficulty getting electrical power? I never knew about this issue and how significant it is until I started riding on trains a lot in recent times. Thank goodness I had my knitting with me! I got some good stitches in while we sat on the tracks just outside of Newark. This picture celebrates 10,000 stitches. (204 stitches per row, about 6 rows per inch, about 8.5 inches)
Thanks to this sweater and the Esther socks, I’m getting some good experience with hemming. The socks provided my first experience with a picot edging. I used a provisional cast-on, folded the hem over and used a round of K2TOGs to knit the cast-on stitches together with the stitches on the needles. I used the same technique for the first sleeve of the sweater, but I didn’t do a picot edging at the folding point, just a straight row of purl stitches.
For the body of the sweater, I decided to try a sewn hem. Based on what I read at on the Two Strands blog (see my previous post), sewing is supposed to produce a less-noticeable hem. I knitted the appropriate rounds (plus a few extra) and spent the rest of my weekend knitting time trying to figure out how to sew it neatly together! I was having difficulty recognizing which purl bump to pick up and then aligning it with the cast-on stitches correctly. Part of the problem is that I can’t refer to the stitches that are already done because the hem obscures them. Another problem is that I’m using dark yarn (harder to see in general). I guess it would easiest if there were a color change right where I wanted to put the hem (note to self for future planning!). I ended up running a stretch of waste yarn around the project to highlight the stitches I want to hem:
Each stitch is easy to see against the contrasting color. I have a long way to go before I can see how it all comes out …
Here’s a pic of the finished sleeve, btw: