FO: Blackrose Socks

These were a pleasure to knit … the pattern was satisfying even though it wasn’t too challenging!

I used KnitPicks Stroll Kettle Dyed yarn in the “Auburn” colorway … the subtle color variations are easy to appreciate in the plain parts of this pattern.  At the same time, the color changes don’t interfere with the lacey parts!  The pattern itself comes from Knitty.  I kept the spirit of this pattern but modified it in the following ways:

– I made the 2×2 ribbing on the cuff longer because I thought a sock with lots of stockinette could use a little extra elasticity at the top.

– I started with 64 stitches but reduced the leg by 4 stitches about halfway down for the same reason: I wanted to keep the lace stretched out as the leg got narrower.

– I ditched the short row heel for a regular flap-and-gusset arrangement.  This is just a personal preference; no comment on the original pattern.

Here’s a picture of the leg shaping and the heel flap:

I reduced the circumference by 4 stitches (from 64 to 60) about halfway down the leg in the back.  For fun, I chose a unique stitch pattern for the heel flap: the “fluted fabric stitch” with two garter stitches at the beginning and end of each row.

These socks were fun and I can’t wait to wear them!

Advertisements


%d bloggers like this: