Archive for October, 2009

Ten Thousand Stitches

A 90 minute ride from New York to Philly on Amtrak was more than doubled when we lost electrical power last night.  I wonder if the problem was due to what SEPTA calls “Slippery Leaf Season”.  It was a blustery day yesterday … could fallen leaves have contributed to the train’s difficulty getting electrical power?  I never knew about this issue and how significant it is until I started riding on trains a lot in recent times.  Thank goodness I had my knitting with me!  I got some good stitches in while we sat on the tracks just outside of Newark.  This picture celebrates 10,000 stitches.   (204 stitches per row, about 6 rows per inch, about 8.5 inches)

The Big Hem

Thanks to this sweater and the Esther socks, I’m getting some good experience with hemming.  The socks provided my first experience with a picot edging.  I used a provisional cast-on, folded the hem over and used a round of K2TOGs to knit the cast-on stitches together with the stitches on the needles.  I used the same technique for the first sleeve of the sweater, but I didn’t do a picot edging at the folding point, just a straight row of purl stitches.

For the body of the sweater, I decided to try a sewn hem.  Based on what I read at on the Two Strands blog (see my previous post), sewing is supposed to produce a less-noticeable hem.  I knitted the appropriate rounds (plus a few extra) and spent the rest of my weekend knitting time trying to figure out how to sew it neatly together!   I was having difficulty recognizing which purl bump to pick up and then aligning it with the cast-on stitches correctly.  Part of the problem is that I can’t refer to the stitches that are already done because the hem obscures them.  Another problem is that I’m using dark yarn (harder to see in general).  I guess it would easiest if there were a color change right where I wanted to put the hem (note to self for future planning!). I ended up running a stretch of waste yarn around the project to highlight the stitches I want to hem:

Each stitch is easy to see against the contrasting color.  I have a long way to go before I can see how it all comes out …

Here’s a pic of the finished sleeve, btw: