The Mitten Experiment (resumed)

Sheez, I now have a third left-hand mitten!  This one includes more style modifications and also some more experimenting with size.  I used larger needles (#8) and added 3 stitches to the circumference (original glove: 30, second glove: 33, this one: 36).  It’s still a form-fitting mitten but now it doesn’t feel too small.  Oh, and while browsing knitting books in the library I learned that some people say “gore” instead of “gusset” when referring to the thumb expansion area.  Both are a triangular insert, not sure if there’s any other distinction between the terms … OK, now it’s time to move off the leftover Wool-Ease and do (gasp!) a Right Mitten with the intent of actually weaving the ends in and wearing it in public.  I have a strong feeling that I’m going to end up with two coordinating-but-different mittens.  No law says they have to match, hey?

That reminds me: after looking at me working with 5 needles (4 for knitting, one for the cable) and one stitch-holder for the thumb, hubby says if I want to add any more implements I might have to get a permit.

Here’s mitten prototype #3 (yes, there are mistakes I didn’t bother to correct!):

mit3.jpg

Advertisements

0 Responses to “The Mitten Experiment (resumed)”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s





%d bloggers like this: